- Meeting abstract
- Open Access
Malignant sigmoid-duodenal fistula: case report and review of the literature
© Minutolo et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2011
- Published: 24 August 2011
- Sigmoid Colon
- Anal Verge
- Bloc Resection
- Circular Stapler
Colonic-duodenal fistulas are rare, and may be secondary to benign or malignant conditions. Malignant duodenocolonic fistulas may also develop in patients with right colon or hepatic flexure carcinoma or duodenal malignancy. The sigmoido-duodenal malignant fistula is exceptional and, to our knowledge, only two previous cases have been reported. The first case was treated in our Institution in 1981 and published by Russello  and the second was reported by Melissas in 2002  in the literature. We present the third case of malignant fistula between the duodenum and sigmoid colon in a 84-years-old male patient.
- Russello D, Puleo S, Randazzo G, Scilletta B, Li Destri G, Di Cataldo A, Latteri F: Su di un caso raro di fistola neoplastica sigmoido-duodenale. Chirurgia Italiana. 1981, XXXIII: 1-Google Scholar
- Melissas J, Schoretsanitis G, Daskalakis M, Tsiftsis DD: Sigmoidoduodenal fistula as a rare complication of colonic carcinoma: report of a case. Surg Today. 2003, 33: 623-5. 10.1007/s00595-003-2547-x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xenos ES, Halverson JD: Duodenocolic fistula: case report and review of the literature. J Postgrad Med. 1999, 45 (3): 87-9.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mori F, Miyamoto M, Torieda M, Morita N, Mohri H: Malignant duodenocolic fistula--a case report. Jpn J Surg. 1981, 11 (1): 50-3. 10.1007/BF02468820.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fuks D, Pessaux P, Tuech JJ, Mauvais F, Bréhant O, Dumont F, Chatelain D, Yzet T, Joly JP, Lefebure B, Deshpande S, Arnaud JP, Verhaeghe P, Regimbeau JM: Management of patients with carcinoma of the right colon invading the duodenum or pancreatic head. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2008, 23 (5): 477-81. 10.1007/s00384-007-0409-5.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.