- Meeting abstract
- Open Access
Endovascular repair for acute mesenteric ischemia: case report
© Fiengo et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2011
- Published: 24 August 2011
- Venous Thrombosis
- Superior Mesenteric Artery
- Endovascular Intervention
- Mesenteric Ischemia
- Endovascular Therapy
Acute mesenteric ischemia (AMI) is an abdominal emergency caused by: embolism (40-50%), with Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) thrombosis (20-25%), mesenteric venous thrombosis (5%) and non occlusive mesenteric ischemia (20%). The mortality rate is high and ranges from 64 to 93%.
We present a case of a 75-year-old patient with acute occlusive mesenteric ischemia that was successfully treated with endovascular intervention.
Angiography revealed high-grade stenosis of the proximal tract of the SMA. Immediate option for endovascular therapy was made, and a MARIS self-expandable 6x40 mm stent was positioned. The patient was discharged 2 days after with full recovery from the symptoms.
Control angiography showed the correct apposition of the stent and regular flow inside. The patient was symptom free 12 months later.
- Peck MA, Conrad MF, Kwolek CJ, LaMuraglia GM, Paruchuri V, Cambria RP: Intermediate-outcomes of endovascular treatment for symptomatic chronic mesenteric ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2010, 51: 140-7. 10.1016/j.jvs.2009.06.064.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Aksu C, Demirpolat G, Oran I, Parildar M, Memis A: Stent Implantation in Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia. Acta Radiol. 2009, 50: 610-616. 10.1080/02841850902953873.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Atkins MD, Kwolek CJ, LaMuraglia GM, Brewster DC, Chung TK, Cambria RP: Surgical revascularization versus endovascular therapy for chronic mesenteric ischemia: a comparative experience. J Vasc Surg. 2007, 45: 1162-71. 10.1016/j.jvs.2007.01.067.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nyman U, Ivancev K, Lindh M, Uher P: Endovascular Treatment of Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia: report of Five Cases. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 1998, 21: 301-313.Google Scholar
- Demirpolat G, Oran I, Tamsel S, Parildar M, Memis A: Acute mesenteric ischemia: endovascular therapy. Abdom Imaging. 2007, 32: 299-303. 10.1007/s00261-006-9074-3.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fioole B, van de Rest HJM, Meijer JRM, van Leersum M, van Koeverden S, Moll FL, van den Berg JC, de Vries PM JP: Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty and stenting as first-choice treatment is patients with chronic mesenteric ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2010, 51: 386-391. 10.1016/j.jvs.2009.08.055.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.